Sexual Diversity: What Does it Mean?
Sexuality is just one of the ways that people differ from one another. The term "sexual diversity" is often used in the context of sexual orientation. Not all people are heterosexual. Some people are gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, or questioning.
Sexual diversity means that everyone has different understandings about what sexuality means to them. In the past, sexual diversity within the general population was less apparent and visible than it is today.
Over time, society today has become a lot more tolerant and accepting of the differences between people along the lines of religion, disability, ethnicity, race, and sexuality. This includes a recognition that in today's world we are a diverse community with respect to sexual orientation, gender identity, transgenderism, transsexualism, and intersexuality.
Although the term "sexual diversity" can apply to many different aspects of sexuality, it is usually defined as sexual orientation and/or gender identity. The document Sexuality Definitions defines many other sexuality terms, including acronyms and their meanings, that you may come across on SexualDiversity.org - and in everyday life.
Recent LGBT News and Information
- Call on Trump Administration to Reinstate Sexual Orientation Question in National Senior Survey - HRC criticizes Trump Administration for removing question about sexual orientation from National Survey of Older Americans Act Participants (NSOAAP) - 2017-03-23
- Trump Administration Proposes to End Data Collection on LGBT Elders and People with Disabilities - Proposed removal of sexual orientation question from National Survey of Older Americans Act Participants and sexual orientation and gender identity fields - 2017-03-23
- Transgender Students Have More Physical, Social, Academic Problems Due to Alcohol - Study suggests transgender college students may be particularly vulnerable to alcohol abuse, which can negatively affect their academic standing and their physical health - 2017-03-22
- Sexual Assault Victimization Disproportionately Affects Certain Minority College Students - Study reveals students who perceive their college campus is inclusive and welcoming of sexual and gender-minority people have lower odds of being victims of sexual assault - 2017-03-17
- LGBTQ+ - Risk of Sexual Assault, Harassment, Bullying and Hate Crimes - Study reveals lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people at higher risk for being victims of physical and sexual assault, harassment, bullying, and hate crimes - 2017-03-10
- Reduction in Sexual Violence Among Kentucky High School Students - Study is the largest and longest randomized controlled trial of bystander intervention programs focusing on sexual violence prevention in high schools - 2017-03-09
- People Split on Transgender Rights Issues - New research reveals a split on how people consider transgender rights issues today - 2017-03-07
- An Active Sex Life Can Lead to Satisfaction - Researchers find maintaining healthy sex life boosts employee job satisfaction and office engagement - underscoring the value of a strong work-life balance - 2017-03-06
- Dustin Lance Black to Address Equality Convention - HRC Spring Equality Convention, March 9 - 11, is an annual event consisting of training, workshops, a lobby day, and other events - 2017-03-06
- Discriminatory Birth Certificate Bill Targets Transgenders - Bill H.B. 1894 would make an onerous process even more difficult for transgender Arkansans seeking to have their identification documents reflect their gender identity - 2017-03-05
My cousin is an agoraphobic homosexual, which makes it kind of hard for him to come out of the closet - More LGBT Quotes