Sexual Diversity: What Does it Mean?
Sexuality is just one of the ways that people differ from one another. The term "sexual diversity" is often used in the context of sexual orientation. Not all people are heterosexual. Some people are gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, or questioning.
Sexual diversity means that everyone has different understandings about what sexuality means to them. In the past, sexual diversity within the general population was less apparent and visible than it is today.
Over time, society today has become a lot more tolerant and accepting of the differences between people along the lines of religion, disability, ethnicity, race, and sexuality. This includes a recognition that in today's world we are a diverse community with respect to sexual orientation, gender identity, transgenderism, transsexualism, and intersexuality.
Although the term "sexual diversity" can apply to many different aspects of sexuality, it is usually defined as sexual orientation and/or gender identity. The document Sexuality Definitions defines many other sexuality terms, including acronyms and their meanings, that you may come across on SexualDiversity.org - and in everyday life.
Recent LGBT News and Information
- LGBTQ+ Toronto Community 22nd Annual Pride and Remembrance Run - Toronto annual Pride and Remembrance Run Saturday, June 24th, is devoted to the celebration and support of the LGBTQ+ community and is one of the most popular running events in the GTA - 2017-06-20
- No Evidence of Gender Bias in Philosophy - Despite a gender imbalance, there is no evidence for gender bias against women in securing tenure-track positions in philosophy - 2017-06-20
- Transgender Actors Teach Doctors in Training Respectful Care - Real-life transgender actors help resident doctors learn to provide more sensitive care to people with a different gender identity than the one they were assigned at birth - 2017-06-18
- Texas Governor Signs Discrimination Bill HB 3859 - Law HB 3859 allows child welfare organizations, including adoption and foster care agencies, to turn away Texans seeking to care for a child in need, including LGBTQ couples, interfaith couples, single parents, or other parents to whom the agency has a religious objection - 2017-06-17
- The Switch: Work, Love, Mortal Danger - TV Transgender Sitcom - The Switch is the first TV show with a transgender actor as starring role, first to have transgender showrunner and 5 trans and/or non-binary lead actors and similar crew - 2017-06-14
- EEOC Sues Apple Metro Restaurant Chain for Sex Discrimination and Retaliation - Transgender employee harassed at Hawthorne Applebee's because of her gender identity and fired for objecting, federal agency charges - 2017-06-09
- Poor Health and Lack of Access to Health Care Among Public Health Needs of U.S. Transgender People - Transgender individuals are more likely than non-transgender individuals to report poor health and lack of health insurance coverage - 2017-06-08
- Neurological Research Supports Existence of Disorders Due to Addictive Sexual Behavior - Society for Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH) paper on diagnostic categories around problematic sexual health disorders including pornography and sex addiction - 2017-05-23
- Topless Women in NY Celebrate 25 Years of Equal Rights - Anniversary of court decision establishing women have the same right as men to go bare-chested in public places in New York State - 2017-05-18
- Women in Technology and Veteran Service Scholarships - Helio offers $1,000 scholarship for all active duty, reserve, and veterans of the U.S. Military for Helio Training full-time programs, and $500 scholarship towards part-time programs - 2017-05-09
- Religious Freedom Executive Order Opens Way for Bias - U.S. President EO opens the way to overriding regulations that protect female health and harms the rights of millions of women and LGBT People - 2017-05-05
- 4th Annual Rizi Timane Transgender Surgery Scholarship - Transgender activist, artist and author Rizi Timane announces 4th annual transgender surgery scholarship call for applications - 2017-05-03
My cousin is an agoraphobic homosexual, which makes it kind of hard for him to come out of the closet - More LGBT Quotes