Sexual Diversity: What Does it Mean?
Sexuality is just one of the ways that people differ from one another. The term "sexual diversity" is often used in the context of sexual orientation. Not all people are heterosexual. Some people are gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, or questioning.
Sexual diversity means that everyone has different understandings about what sexuality means to them. In the past, sexual diversity within the general population was less apparent and visible than it is today.
Over time, society today has become a lot more tolerant and accepting of the differences between people along the lines of religion, disability, ethnicity, race, and sexuality. This includes a recognition that in today's world we are a diverse community with respect to sexual orientation, gender identity, transgenderism, transsexualism, and intersexuality.
Although the term "sexual diversity" can apply to many different aspects of sexuality, it is usually defined as sexual orientation and/or gender identity. The document Sexuality Definitions defines many other sexuality terms, including acronyms and their meanings, that you may come across on SexualDiversity.org - and in everyday life.
Recent LGBT News and Information
- Neurological Research Supports Existence of Disorders Due to Addictive Sexual Behavior - Society for Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH) paper on diagnostic categories around problematic sexual health disorders including pornography and sex addiction - 2017-05-23
- Topless Women in NY Celebrate 25 Years of Equal Rights - Anniversary of court decision establishing women have the same right as men to go bare-chested in public places in New York State - 2017-05-18
- Women in Technology and Veteran Service Scholarships - Helio offers $1,000 scholarship for all active duty, reserve, and veterans of the U.S. Military for Helio Training full-time programs, and $500 scholarship towards part-time programs - 2017-05-09
- Religious Freedom Executive Order Opens Way for Bias - U.S. President EO opens the way to overriding regulations that protect female health and harms the rights of millions of women and LGBT People - 2017-05-05
- 4th Annual Rizi Timane Transgender Surgery Scholarship - Transgender activist, artist and author Rizi Timane announces 4th annual transgender surgery scholarship call for applications - 2017-05-03
- PrEP Project Tries New Approach to HIV - Admit Gay Men Aren't Using Condoms - The PrEP Project, a hybrid documentary web series that tackles taboo issues head-on with a fun, sexy, and outrageously frank approach - 2017-05-03
- Study Reveals Physicians Vastly Underestimate Patients Willingness to Share Sexual Orientation - Study of adult patients suggests patients are substantially more willing to disclose their sexual orientation than health care workers believe - 2017-05-03
- Sexist and Anti-Gay Jokes - It's All About Men Feeling Threatened - Why do some males crack sexist and anti-gay jokes or find them funny, while others do not? - 2017-05-02
- Gender Bias in Open-Source Programming - To what extent does gender bias exist when pull requests are judged on GitHub - 2017-05-02
- Married LGBT Seniors are Healthier and Happier Than Singles - Research finds married LGBT study participants report better physical and mental health, more social support and greater financial resources than singles - 2017-05-01
- Gender Diversity in Big Law Flatlines - Despite widespread implementation of diversity programs women account for only 30% of lawyers at firms in the Am Law 200 - 2017-05-01
- Transgender Preschooler Study Assesses Preferences and Identity - Study finds transgender children just as likely as nontransgender children to have preferences associated with their gender, and have a clear sense of their gender identity - 2017-04-30
My cousin is an agoraphobic homosexual, which makes it kind of hard for him to come out of the closet - More LGBT Quotes