LGBT Facts and Statistics
Facts, statistics and surveys of LGBT subjects and topics from a variety of worldwide communities.
Some Quick Figures:
- 59% of Americans support the equal right to marry for same-sex couples, according to a 2014 Washington Post-ABC News poll.
- There are roughly 9 million LGBT people in the US and more than 650,000 same-sex couples.
- 19% of same-sex couples are raising children according to the US Census Bureau's 2011 American Community Survey.
- There is no federal law that consistently protects LGBT individuals from employment discrimination; there are no state laws in 29 states that explicitly prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, and in 32 states that do so based on gender identity.
- Gay people make up between 1 to 4% of the population in most U.S. cities - but are more concentrated in metropolitan areas.
Highest LGBT Concentration by Major U.S. Metropolitan City:
- Seattle, WA: 12.9%
- Atlanta, GA: 12.8%
- San Francisco, CA: 15.4%
Facts About Gay and Lesbian Youth Suicide:
- 30% of Gay youth attempt suicide near the age of 15.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death among Gay and Lesbian youth nationally.
- Gays and Lesbians are two to six times more likely to suicide than Heterosexuals.
- Almost half of the Gay and Lesbian teens state they have attempted suicide more than once.
- It has been conservatively estimated the 1,500 Gay and Lesbian youth commit suicide every year.
- 20% of homeless youth are LGBT. In comparison, the general youth population is only 10% LGBT.
- LGBT homeless youth commit suicide at higher rates (62%) than heterosexual homeless youth (29%)
- LGBT youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to experience acts of sexual violence than heterosexual homeless youth
- While homeless youth typically experience severe family conflict as the primary reason for their homelessness, LGBT youth are twice as likely to experience sexual abuse before the age of 12.
- LGBT youth, once homeless, are at higher risk for victimization, mental health problems, and unsafe sexual practices.
- 58.7% of LGBT homeless youth have been sexually victimized compared to 33.4% of heterosexual homeless youth.
- Incarceration Rate of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual People 3 Times the General Population
Study reveals sexual minorities incarcerated at disproportionately high rates, and once incarcerated more likely to experience mistreatment, harsh punishment, and sexual victimization
Author: Williams Institute - (Publish Date: 2017-02-09)
- Study Reveals 150,000 American Youth Ages 13 to 17 Identify as Transgender
Age of Individuals Who Identify as Transgender in the United States study provides new estimates of age composition of individuals who identify as transgender in the U.S. and estimates of size of transgender identified population by age group
Author: The Williams Institute - (Publish Date: 2017-01-19)
- Gallup Survey Shows Over 10 Million American Adults Identify as LGBTQ
New Gallup survey reveals increase in United States adults identifying as LGBTQ - 10 million, or 4.1% of the population, compared to 8.3M 4 years ago
Author: Human Rights Campaign - (Publish Date: 2017-01-15)
- State of U.S. LGBT Entrepreneurship
Startups founded by LGBT entrepreneurship community at risk for discrimination—affecting businesses location, ability to raise capital and how they build trust with investors
Author: StartOut - (Publish Date: 2017-01-04)
- LGBTQ Single Population Study Results
Study surveyed LGBTQ singles between 18 to 70+ across the United States who are not currently in a committed relationship
Author: Match - (Publish Date: 2016-05-25)
- Best LGBT Friendly Colleges and Universities
College Choice Releases the Ranking of 50 Best LGBT Friendly Colleges and Universities 2016
Author: College Choice - (Publish Date: 2016-05-04)
- 2015 Municipal Equality Index
HRC releases 2015 municipal equality index with record number of perfect scores
Author: The Human Rights Campaign - (Publish Date: 2015-12-28)
- Doctoral Programs Showing Growing Diversity
Guidance from diverse coaches, peers spurs students persistence to pursue academic careers
Author: Northwestern University - (Publish Date: 2015-12-17)
- Antiquity's Hermaphroditus - A Gender Bender
Doctoral thesis from the University of Gothenburg shows Hermaphroditus was an object of mens desire
Author: University of Gothenburg - (Publish Date: 2015-12-16)
- LGBT Rankings of US Metro Areas - 1990 & 2014 Comparison
Study shows residents in San Francisco, Austin, Texas, and Seattle the most likely to report they are part of a same-sex couple or are LGBT
Author: The Williams Institute - (Publish Date: 2015-03-22)
- Full List of Documents in this Category (15)
Cite This Document