LGBT Facts and Statistics
Facts, statistics and surveys of LGBT subjects and topics from a variety of worldwide communities.
Some Quick Figures:
- 59% of Americans support the equal right to marry for same-sex couples, according to a 2014 Washington Post-ABC News poll.
- There are roughly 9 million LGBT people in the US and more than 650,000 same-sex couples.
- 19% of same-sex couples are raising children according to the US Census Bureau's 2011 American Community Survey.
- There is no federal law that consistently protects LGBT individuals from employment discrimination; there are no state laws in 29 states that explicitly prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, and in 32 states that do so based on gender identity.
- Gay people make up between 1 to 4% of the population in most U.S. cities - but are more concentrated in metropolitan areas.
Highest LGBT Concentration by Major U.S. Metropolitan City:
- Seattle, WA: 12.9%
- Atlanta, GA: 12.8%
- San Francisco, CA: 15.4%
Facts About Gay and Lesbian Youth Suicide:
- 30% of Gay youth attempt suicide near the age of 15.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death among Gay and Lesbian youth nationally.
- Gays and Lesbians are two to six times more likely to suicide than Heterosexuals.
- Almost half of the Gay and Lesbian teens state they have attempted suicide more than once.
- It has been conservatively estimated the 1,500 Gay and Lesbian youth commit suicide every year.
- 20% of homeless youth are LGBT. In comparison, the general youth population is only 10% LGBT.
- LGBT homeless youth commit suicide at higher rates (62%) than heterosexual homeless youth (29%)
- LGBT youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to experience acts of sexual violence than heterosexual homeless youth
- While homeless youth typically experience severe family conflict as the primary reason for their homelessness, LGBT youth are twice as likely to experience sexual abuse before the age of 12.
- LGBT youth, once homeless, are at higher risk for victimization, mental health problems, and unsafe sexual practices.
- 58.7% of LGBT homeless youth have been sexually victimized compared to 33.4% of heterosexual homeless youth.
Cite This Document