Printer Icon

Jack'd Members Speak in Favor of National Coming Out Day

Source: Jack'd
Published: 2014-10-11 - Updated: 2015-02-09
Summary: Responses and statistics from Jackd users who were given a chance to explain why they felt National Coming Out Day was important.

Jack'd, the most popular gay dating app in the world among 18 to 30 year old gay men, today announced findings from a user poll on attitudes around coming out in 2014. 29 percent of the gay men who responded to the survey said that on October 11th, National Coming Out Day, they will come out to someone in their life. The survey also identified Neil Patrick Harris, Lady Gaga, and Tyler Oakley as the top public figures that have inspired them to come out.

This year will mark the 26th anniversary of National Coming Out Day.

Despite its impressive tenure, 31 percent of survey respondents had never even heard of the holiday before, while 59 percent felt that the date was important.

Jack'd users were given a chance to explain why they felt it was important, with some responses including:

With over 5 million members, 80 percent of whom are between 18 and 25 years old in the U.S., the results are considered a reflection of young gay men's dispositions towards coming out in 2014. Of those surveyed 16 percent cited that they came out before they were 16 years old, with the majority of people coming out before they were 20.

"When looking at how young gay men are coming out, I think it's extremely important for us to offer as much support to them as we can. National Coming Out Day is a great platform for this," said Adam Segel, CEO of Jack'd.

The importance of this date is highlighted by the fact that 10 percent of Jack'd survey respondents were not out to anyone. 48 percent of the closeted respondents explained they are still exploring their sexuality and not ready to identify. The other 52 percent explained they are not out due to family, religious, or social pressures.

Despite the rise of technology and the dominant role social media is playing in how young people communicate, it seems that face-to-face still rules the roost when it comes to coming out. 73 percent of respondents said they came out to someone in person, with only 7 percent using online tools to come out. Furthermore, 20 percent of gay men are not given the choice to come out, and instead are involuntarily outed by others.

For those looking to come out on October 11, 2014, 50 percent of Jack'd survey respondents advise the best thing about being out is simply being honest with yourself.

Jack'd also let participants provide one piece of advice for someone who hasn't yet come out. An overwhelming amount of respondents stressed the importance of waiting until you're ready and not rushing the process.

Jack'd is the fastest growing gay app in the world among young gay adult men, with more than 5 million users, 80 percent of whom are between 18 and 30 years old globally. It's extremely popular with gay millennials, who are attracted by the app's strong community vibe and its array of free features. The app is truly an international phenomenon and is translated into more languages than any other gay app. Jack'd is owned by Online Buddies, Inc., the largest company in the world connecting men seeking men. Jack'd is available for iPhone and Android. To download the app from our mobile site, go to

This information is from our Gay Male News and Articles section - Full List Here.

Related Topics

Send us your coming events & LGBT related news stories for publishing on

PrEP Project Tries New Approach to HIV - Admit Gay Men Aren't Using Condoms

10% of Same-sex Males Craigslist Ads Seek Men Who Don't Identify as Gay

Does Being Openly Gay Affect Performance Appraisal

In July 2017, President Donald Trump announced, "After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the US Military..."

While non-LGBT students struggle most with school classes, exams, and work, their LGBT peers say the biggest problem they face is unaccepting families.

District of Columbia residents can now choose a gender neutral option of their drivers license.

80% of gay and lesbian youth report severe social isolation and 42% of people who are LGBT report living in an unwelcoming environment.

According to the Williams Institute about 46% of those in same-sex relationships have college degrees. This may not sound particularly surprising until you consider that the number for heterosexual couples is close to 30%.

80% of gay and lesbian youth report severe social isolation and 42% of people who are LGBT report living in an unwelcoming environment.

Gay Daughter Unmasks Her Coming Out Story

Sexual Pleasure - Women Report Diverse Preferences

Study Raises Concerns About Trump Agenda For LGBTQ Students

Cite This Document